Friday, September 30, 2011

It's My Choice

Three years ago when I was diagnosed with cancer, I got very good advice from a Darden student who had survived cancer. The message wasn't terribly deep  actually the simplicity in the message may be what stuck with me. I've carried his thought with me and it's helped me with my battles, cancer related or not. At the time, I don't think I thanked him enough because I was so self-consumed. So this is my thank you and my hope that someone else can learn from his message:

Battling cancer is my choice. It's my choice to go to the hospital and get chemo, to postpone my life for endless doctor's appointments and to fight. When I'm down and out and feel like my life is out of my control, I remind myself: this is my choice. I choose to battle. I choose to get out of bed and live my life to the best of my ability given the energy I have. I choose to laugh still and love. Simple message, but it applies to more then just cancer. You make the best choices for yourself everyday given the options you have - even if it's stuff you don't want to do. It's still your choice.



Ok so on to something lighter: Chemo number 4 went as wonderful as chemo can go! Normally, chemo on Monday means I can't eat until Thursday. However, a recommendation from a family friend to try a new nausea drug saved my behind. Because I can keep food down, my energy was up, digestive system was working, and I was able to hold conversations and be more productive. My weight didn't drop as much - which was really becoming a personal concern. I was able to eat Chipotle for dinner on Wednesday, which is a feat on a normal non-chemo day. I loved it.

So, if you know anyone who's going through chemo, please recommend "Emend" to them. It's 3 pills, one a day. With insurance, my co-pay was $30; without insurance, it would have been $480. It was worth it. Even if it's not someone terrible close to you. It can't hurt to offer a suggestion.

I hope everyone has a happy weekend! I know mine's looking  a lot brighter thanks to my supportive family and friends. Love and hugs :)

2 comments:

  1. XOXO I, for one of many, am glad you are choosing to fight!!! XOXOXO Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you! Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete